Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Midwest swing

What a crazy couple of weeks it's been since we got back from the Virgin Islands. After a couple days off, we packed up the box truck and played a few southern gigs before starting the Midwest swing that will take us up to The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, 10,000 Lakes Festival in Minnesota, and Schuba's in Chicago for Zach's CD release party on July 28th.
The Midwest swing came to a hault quickly as the box truck broke down in Marion, IL as we were on our way to a gig in St. Louis. With absolutely no rental cars within a 50 mile radius, we had to shack up for the night and prepare for a long drive up to Michigan the next day. Our day started early, leaving the hotel at 6 AM in preparation for a 10 hour hike up to The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. The Blind Pig is a great room, favorites of many great bands, and was a gig I've been looking forward to for quite some time. We loaded in and soundcheck rather quickly which left us an hour or so to be able to enjoy the art festival that was in town. The main streets were blocked off and lined with arts and crafts vendors, food and music. It's rare that we get to spend a lot of time in these cities we visit, but lucky for us we had a good chunk of time to take in some of the works that were on display.The Blind Pig show was also the first show Zach had played with a written setlist. Zach usually just gets up on stage and jams out, playing whatever comes to mind, but on the drive up we thought we would write one out for the night. Having a written setlist allows Zach to put on a completely different show. The show was a lot of fun, from sleeping on chairs in the green room to raging with some friendly Midwesterners in the back of the venue. We all look forward to coming back!
Being on tour is a treat in every sense of the word, but the amount of music I'm able to see is far less than if I was festie hoping like I did last summer. Knowing that we had 3 days off before 10,000 Lakes Festival, I crossed my fingers in hopes that we would be able to go see Umphrey's McGee open for Dave Matthews Band at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. That might not mean much to anyone else, but it meant the world to me. I'm a music nerd, I like venues just as much, if not more, than the music. The first band I really started to follow was Dave Matthews Band back in 2002. I went everywhere, catching around 50 shows in 6 years and seeing some of the most amazing sights in the music world. In terms of outdoor amphitheaters, there is the big three: Red Rocks in Colorado, The Gorge in Washington and Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. I went to The Gorge in 2004 and Red Rocks in 2005, but was unable to make it out to Alpine until now. Seeing my current favorite band, Umphrey's, open for my old favorite band at one of the most breathtaking venues in the world was amazing to say the least. The place is MASSIVE! 50,000 people can stuff into Alpine, that's double the size of large outdoor amphitheaters that DMB usually plays. It's just absolutely mind-blowing to see that many people on the hill being lit up by the stage lights.
Just to recap on the show, it was great. Seeing Umphrey's was fun, but the energy was lacking as they were playing to a crowd that really didn't care. Dave Matthews Band is a talented band, but has one of the worst fanbases there is...rowdy, youngsters that just wanna get drunk. And yes I can say that, I followed DMB for years and know every single detail surrounding the DMB world. And now being in the jamband scene, I really do appreciate the people that I'm surrounded by...they're all very knowledgeable and are there for the music (and obviously a little bit of the party, I mean come on...) All that being said, DMB was on fire. When I left my last DMB show almost 3 years ago, I knew that was it. It was a business and all too similar. I couldn't look at the stage before songs cause if I saw Dave's fingerings on the guitar I could tell what song was coming next. I didn't get excited like I used to. I didn't lose my appetite and get sick before every show. It might sound weird, but that's what happened. The night before a show, I couldn't sleep; driving to the shows I would get sick with excitement and actually have to pull over. I didn't have that feeling anymore...but I did at Alpine. Dancing around smiling ear to ear, counting my blessing that this really is happening. I had that shit eatin' grin on my face, knowing that I'm doing what I love and enjoying the company of those around me. The songs off the new album were MONSTERS and I got to see some rarities like You Never Know, Pig, Proudest Monkey and Halloween. Throw in a round of disc golf with Zach and a visit to Madison, and these were some of the best days off I've had on tour this summer! Now we're on our way up to Minnesota to pick up Jeremy and head up to 10,000 Lakes Festival in beautiful Detroit Lakes. If you've never been to this festival, I highly suggest you make the trip. I will be blogging about it in a couple days, so check back to hear about everything that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment